40's

40's

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Improvising...not just an important skill for dancers...

We have a blizzard coming, and I am suddenly aware of how unprepared I am to be an adult. What do I do??? My thoughts immediately went back to 3rd grade, and I wish I had paid better attention. Do I get under my desk?? No, that's for an earthquake... Do I run to the cafeteria and crouch against the wall with my arms over my head?? No, that's for a tornado... Are you supposed to do anything for a blizzard? I've never done anything before, but is that because my parents just secretly did it for me? They should write these things down in a manual. It was always my parents' job to take care of me, so how am I supposed to take over the job without a manual? I've never actually had a real-person job, but isn't reading the manual the first thing you do when you start? 

Yesterday, Patrick very intently said to me, "Ellen! We need to seriously prepare ourselves for a power outage..." I stood listening and waiting for him to give me directions on how to do this, while he stood waiting for me to give him directions on how to do this. Neither of us knew, so naturally we just decided to deal with it later, grabbed our beer and wine out of the fridge, and settled down to watch a movie. Well...it's later and the blizzard is officially on it's way. At somewhat of a loss for what to do next, I cooked a box of pasta and a frozen pizza and stored them in the refrigerator. That should get us by for a while... Oh! I just realized that I cooked!!! That is a step in the right direction of becoming an adult! Maybe I don't need a manual... Although, if you don't hear from me in the next few days, send help.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, everyone, the blizzard never came. Maybe this was God's way of giving me a chance to get my act together...

    ReplyDelete