40's

40's

Monday, November 8, 2010

Entering the world of flats...

I am discovering that the more I care about how I look inside the studio, the less I care about how I look outside the studio.

I officially purchased my first pair of flats this weekend. This is a big moment for me because I have always sacrificed comfort for cuteness. 
My uncomfortable-but-worth-it wedding shoes

When I was shopping for wedding shoes, every salesperson said to me, "Now, you will want to make sure they are comfortable." I would simply nod in agreement, and then reach for the 4-inch heels. Usually, if my feet are numb by the end of an evening, I consider it a success.

My winter coats always function much better at looking cute than at keeping me warm. My mother-in-law likes to remind me of this (side note--Yes, I am aware that it is cold outside. Yes, I am aware that I might be a little chilly. As long as we are not planning on climbing Mt. Everest, I think I can make it from the front door to the car...). Anyway...sorry about that... 

These days, I am trying to resist the urge to carry around a sign with me that reads, "I PROMISE I AM USUALLY MUCH CUTER THAN THIS!Don't  worry, I won't really do this. I am just trying to come to terms with my new flats. Don't get me wrong, they are still metallic and snake-skin, but I am missing a certain sense of "pain is beauty."

This new found comfort might take a little getting used to, but my new flats are giving me a blister, so all is right with the world. All bets are off when it comes to my winter coat, though.

I still have a scar under my chin from a trip to K-Mart in a pair of new patent leather shoes when I was about 6 years old. I got a little too excited about my pretty new shoes. A little dancing in the aisles, trip to the ER, and a few stitches later, I have a permanent reminder of the sacrifices I have made for cuteness.

The wise Paula David, artistic director of StLDT, once said to me, "You will find yourself living your whole life to support your art." Well folks, it's happened. I've made the ultimate sacrifice. I am saving all of the pain in my feet for dancing.

I feel like I should end by saying, please don't judge me from this post... 

1 comment: