40's

40's

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

When your toe hurts, it's usually not your toe that's hurt...

This is so amazing to me. As a dancer I have a slightly vested interest in the human body, and I am learning so much from my trainer and chiropractor and google. (My husband doesn't let me google my symptoms anymore. As I've said before, my mind has a tendency to take over my matter. I still sneak it every once in a while, though. I've also stopped watching "House" and "Grey's Anatomy" after I was convinced that a bruise on my leg was bone cancer. It wasn't. It was a bruise. But, seriously, what are the chances that a "Grey's Anatomy" character would happen to be a dancer and happen to have bone cancer in his leg at the exact time that I happened to have a bruise on my leg and one of the symptoms of bone cancer (according to Dr. Google) just happens to be bruising!?!? .............Hence, becoming banned from Dr. Google and all medical-related shows.) Anyway, back to the topic of interest... 

My trainer Tom Jones at The Boxing Gym does a great job at kicking my a$&, and my chiropractor Dr. Rachel Loeb does a great job of putting it back together. I am so grateful to have Tom and Rachel's help. They are both so knowledgeable, so invested, and so great at what they do. I always feel so awful (in a good way) when I finish a session with Tom and so wonderful when I finish a session with Rachel. It is so amazing to me how a weakness in a certain area can cause a chain of events that manifests in a totally different area. When my knee was hurting, Tom had me doing more glute exercises, and when my toe was hurting, Rachel had me doing calf exercises. Today, when Rachel dug out my psoas muscle in my abdomen, my hip totally relaxed. It's amazing!

Really, I think all of these aches and pains were designed by God specifically for dancers to signal us that we are slacking on a certain area of our technique. My knee pain was great for me because it signaled me to focus on holding my turnout from the back, not my quads. My toe pain was great because it signaled me to focus on not rolling in on my feet. That was so smart of God! He is like my own personal ballet instructor. So much better than Dr. Google!

On an unrelated note, I am trying to cope with the fact that StLDT doesn't have classes Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday because of Thanksgiving. This will be the true test of my recovery (see previous post). I am making baby steps, however. I did go to T.J. Maxx on Saturday, but I didn't buy one thing! Thankfully, Black Friday sales will be there for me this weekend. Patrick, I think it is really important for my progress that I fully take advantage of them. As a loving husband, I'm sure you will understand and support me every step of the way. Get excited for the savings!

1 comment: