40's

40's

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 was my favorite year so far...

So were 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. (Wow--it took longer to type all of those than I expected.) I have a feeling 2011 will shape up to be my favorite, too.

Here is a list of things that changed in 2010:

-I now have a bicep vein (I am sorry if you are sick of hearing about this, but it was a big moment for me). I wasn't happy about this at first, but it is funny how things begin to grow on you (no pun intended). Now, if it starts to disappear, I tell Tom that I need to "feel more jacked." Then usually when I start to "feel more jacked," I tell Tom that I "feel too jacked." It's an endless cycle, really...


-I got ABD (All But Dissertation) status for my PhD in psychology. The end is in sight. Soon I will put that PhD to good use as a professional dancer. It sounds like I'm joking, but I'm actually very serious. I am very excited about what 2011 will bring in terms of dancology.

-I became an aunt, and I will be a double aunt in 2011!!! I am also happy to report that being around a baby didn't set off any desires to have a baby of my own. While I was thrilled to hold my little niece, I was also thrilled to hand her right back to her mom.

My niece Hannah
My nephew-to-be (in Lindsey's belly) and his sonogram
-My hair grew a lot longer. This is only noteworthy because of its symbolism. Let me explain... I have been obsessing about my hair growing for years. I would count every millimeter and get a little nauseous every time I got a haircut. In 2010, my hair spent 90% of its time either in a bun or attempting to somehow be cute after having been in a bun all morning. One day I realized that my hair was all of the sudden so long! As soon as I stopped obsessing over it, it happened! Take that as you will... I know... you are probably blown away by my wisdom right now... 

-My right shoulder now seems to be half an inch lower than my left shoulder thanks to carrying around my "Ellen Bag" all day. I will be looking into an "Ellen Backpack" for 2011. If there is anything more embarrassing than an "Ellen Bag," it's an "Ellen Backpack." What can I say? I am sacrificing for my art...

-Thanks to the creaking overgrown tree above our driveway prompting Patrick to move the contents of the garage to the little room in our basement that we don't like to talk about (see below), I can now park my car in the garage! This has literally changed my life. 

-Instead of one pair of jeans, Patrick now has two. Thank you, Santa. This is very big news. No need to tell you how many pairs I have... let's just say more than two...

Here is a list of the things that didn't changed in 2010:

 
-The "to-do list" associated with finishing the move-in process to our house. Including (but not limited to): the use of Patrick's old futon as our living room couch, the pile of sticks and branches in our backyard that will be turned into mulch any day now, the landscaping that will also be done any day now to make use of the aforementioned mulch, cleaning out the junk room in our basement that we conveniently skip when giving tours of our house because "we don't like to talk about it."

-My cell phone. It is still going strong, especially now that I added a layer of duct tape to the back.

-The deliciousness of our wedding cake! It is tradition to freeze the top tier of your wedding cake and eat it on your 1-year anniversary for good luck. My aunt was very sweet to freeze it for us in industrial strength tupperware so not an morsel of air could taint it. Naturally, Patrick and I forgot about it. Luckily, my aunt gave it to us for Christmas so we could salvage any good luck that was left in it. I was prepared to take a bite and promptly run to the bathroom to spit it out, but it was delicious! 

Reliving the moment.
Getting our wedding cake!
-I am still a vegetarian. Don't feel sorry for me, though. I get to eat so much cheese and peanut butter! 

-My love of cute mini things. I am excited to be getting my first mini nephew (courtesy of my sister Lindsey) so that I could buy him his first pair of cute mini jeans!  

Lindsey, don't be mad at me for posting this picture. Yes, we look like crap, but the jeans were just too cute not to post...

2 comments:

  1. I was a vegetarian for 4 years and loooved it!! When Brian and I started getting serious, it just wasn't feasible anymore, I still miss it though =(
    Cheers to a good year!

    ReplyDelete